Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Smokey Eye Tutorial




For as long as I can remember, smokey eyes have seemed to intimidating to even try. They look beautiful, but I felt as though if I did it I would end up with something that resembled a black eye. Although after watching several smokey eye videos on youtube, I decided to give it a go. I have attempted this look several times, and have come up with just the right look. It is easy, and is perfect for a night out. I apologize in advance for the horrible quality of these photos. My tripod moved each time I took a pic and made the photo blurry.
To do this look you'll need a matte white shadow as your base. You could also use light yellow, pink, etc. You'll also need a dark matte brown eyeshadow as well as a black matte eyeshadow. As for the brushes, all you need is a fluffy brush that you can use to blend as well as put on the shadow, and an eyeliner brush. You'll also need a piece of tape.

Start by priming your eyes. Then take your matte light colored shadow and apply it all over your lid and above the crease. When your eyes are open you should be able to still see some color.
 Next you want to take a piece of tape and put it on your hand. Rip it off once or twice to remove some of the stick. Then, place it under your eye, following your bottom lash line.
Using your same brush, apply the dark brown along the edge of your eyelid by the tape. Apply the same color to your crease and blend it all out. Make sure you don't put too much of the brown on the eyelid. In the photo below after I took this photo I then blended until my crease and edge of my eyelid were the same amount of dark as the inner part of my crease in this picture.
Next use your black eyeshadow and eyeliner brush and line your top and bottom lashes with a thin line. Go back to the brush you used before and smudge the liner out. This brush should still have some brown on it, so when you smudge the bottom lashes you will also be bringing some color down. The last step is to clean your brush and go back to the light matte color. Add a bit of this to the center of your eyelid. Only a little though, and then blend it out. To finish the look curl and add mascara to your lashes.

On my eyes I did two different types of smokey eye. On the left the brown is focused on the outermost part of my lid, and it continues off the lid. I did this by applying the brown eyeshadow right next to the tape. On the right I kept the color concentrated on the lid, and brought some of the brown onto the lid.





I hope you guys enjoyed this post! It is almost July! This summer is going by quick...
As Always,
xoxo Em

1 comment:

  1. Really pretty. I should try it soon :) follow me :) elliegthompson.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete