Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Road Trip Essentials

    I'm going to start off by saying that I am so sorry for the lack of posts! My life has been super hectic, but I am back and ready to start blogging! For many of us summer vacation is finally here, and you most likely will be doing some day trips or road trips. If you're like me, then you like to be prepared for a day in the car. A typical road trip for me is around 6-8 hours in the car, but this summer I'll be going all the way to Maine (from Colorado). On average that is about 9 hours in the car for three days. This could either be hell, or loads of fun! Before you start your road trip make sure you have eaten a healthy meal. There is nothing worse than being on the road with an upset stomach because you had pancakes and bacon before you left. I usually have a bagel thin with peanut butter on one half and an egg on the other. Also make sure that your car is clean on the outside and inside. Trust me, your car will get dirty, but you want to keep it clean for as long as possible.
  On the road I like to bring a large tote bag with me. Currently I use a woven juice box bag from barnes and noble.
   I like a bag that is big enough to fit all the things I need. Now in whatever bag you choose, make sure you have plenty of water. I like SoBe LifeWater, but I also keep regular water with me as well. Personally I don't like warm water, so I make sure to keep my water in an insulated water bottle. Another essential is snacks. Make sure you bring things that don't melt, because it can get hot in the car when you turn it off to go somewhere. My go to snack of choice are kind bars, because they are healthy and tasty. Other options are homemade trail mix, freeze dried fruit (I love the strawberry kind from Trader Joe's), any kind of granola bar, or fresh fruit (if you eat them early into the ride). We keep a cooler in the back for our main meals, but I like to have my own selection with me. Especially if you're the one driving you want to stay energized. Try to limit the caffeine, because then you won't have to stop at the nearest restroom every half hour. Opt for drinks like SoBe Life Water or Zevia. Zevia is a natural, zero calorie soda that comes in flavors like root beer and cream soda. On road trips try to stay healthy, because once you get to where you're going you'll probably be eating not the best things for you.

  Entertainment is another must have. Before we leave I make playlists on my phone full of music I love. Each day we listen to a different playlist so we don't get tired of the songs. I also download several audiobooks to enjoy. If you don't get motion sick I would recommend bringing books or magazines to look at.

   In the tote I bring I pack a small bag full of items I may or may not need. In this is hand cream, hand sanitizer, Advil, motion sickness bracelets, lip balm, and plenty of gum! I also like to bring a Polaroid camera so I can take pictures and have them created immediately. This way when I get to the hotel I can put it into my travel journal.
  
  I also bring sunglasses, phone chargers, my iPad, my phone, my wallet, and fuzzy socks or slippers. I usually wear flip flops in the car so I can easily take them off and throw on something more comfortable. Along with the theme of comfort I bring a pillow. I'm not a fan of those things that wrap around your neck, I find them really uncomfortable. I also bring plenty of blankets. It can be hard to find the perfect temp in the car, so I usually leave the AC on and throw on a blanket. Another thing I bring that I usually forget is headphones. This way if others don't want to listen to my music I can listen to it by myself.
  
   If I have room in my tote I like to pack a sweatshirt and leggings. I usually start the day wearing a T-Shirt and shorts, but sometimes by the end of the day I want something more cozy. I also don't wear much makeup on road trips. I want to feel free, not smothered in makeup. 
  
  It is also fun to have planned stops to do things along the way to your destination. Before I leave I list out different attractions that are along our route. These may be famous restaurants, tourist attractions like Gettysburg, or something like the world's biggest tennis ball sculpture. On this sheet I also have a schedule on where we should be approximately at different times of the day.

  I hope you are all having a wonderful summer! I'm working on different posts and am starting a cooking/baking page! Eventually I would like to have a separate blog devoted to just cooking/baking. I have also updated my shopping page so be sure to check it out!
As Always,
xoxo Em

*This post is not sponsored, all opinions are from yours truly. :)*

No comments:

Post a Comment